Thursday, April 21, 2011

hellloooo long weekend!

I wanted to get some birding in after work today...was hoping for the surf scoter that was reported a few days, but didn't realistically think I would catch it. Anyways, didn't go too far--just to Shirleys Bay. All I saw in terms of ducks were some scaup at the boat lunch (or as my dad calls them, "blue bills"; dad and I have conflicting duck terminology!). Also a male turkey showing off. At the corner of Rifle and Lois I made a new friend... Actually he kind of ran away from me. Was it something I said?

There were lots of birds at the birds at the feeders...and a few other forest friends. Five deer to be exact, cautiously deciding if it was ok to approach and eat the seed....
Then it was off to March Valley and saw green-winged teals the same place as before...much closer to the road this time, and less skittish too.
I'm thoroughly looking forward to the long weekend. Being able to bird all day on a Friday just seems downright luxurious. I may even be able to get some island birding in too. Hoping to get a few spring migrants, and hoping the weather will warm up. It was so chilly today! Hopefully I'll have lots to report after the break. Happy Easter!

4 comments:

dwaynejava said...

What a cute little Porcupine! I hope you have a ... Good Friday... (pun intended) :-)

Funkysandman said...

nice shots - are using 'the force' to focus? looking forward to see what you find over the long weekend

Jenna said...

no sandy, I didn't need to use the force lol...the camera figured it out fine. why? all the stuff in front?

Funkysandman said...

yeah...tons of stuff in front, your lens knew what to do