Tuesday, March 16, 2010

100 Birds in a Year

Well, if you weren't already aware before, let it now be made public how much of a nerd I am.

A couple of weeks ago, I got the bird-watching bug. I always loved birds, but it wasn't until just recently I realized this wonderful, diverse world I had been completely ignorant of.

Today I had an idea, and I'm getting a late start. I've decided to try and find different 100 different types of birds by the end of the year. I have made a couple of criteria for this challenge:

1. All birds must be seen in their natural habitat

2. all birds that count must be photographed. The photo is my proof, and it's a way to incorporate one of my other hobbies: photography. The photo doesn't have to be superb, but the bird needs to be identifiable.

3. all birds must be spotted in 2010.

Every bird I sight will be included...the good, the bad and the ugly...all from the majestic to the downright ugly.

Birding is still pretty new to me so anyone who is familiar can feel free to correct me if I make any incorrect identifications. You can also help me out by giving me tips! Being a true beginner, I'm not even sure if this 100 number is realistic or not, but I'm going to go for it!

I've been wandering around my neighbourhood all week with a giant camera in my hand and my head to the sky. My neighbours must think I am crazy as a loon (ahem...sorry).

2 comments:

Marion Fischer said...

You're kind of nerdiness is the best and it not only looks good on you, but it's good for you! You'll have to come over for Kaffee und Kuchen and you'll have a chance to see what birds are in this neck of the woods. Lots of photo opportunities! Is there a way I can attach the photo I took from our dining nook at dinner one evening? Moni

Anonymous said...

i never knew you liked birds!! this is amazing hahaha absolutely.