Saturday, March 20, 2010

IDs 14-19

This weekend I tried out a new place to go birdwatching: Mud Lake in Ottawa. I have no idea how I have lived in Ottawa for 6 years and not known about this place. It is a small conservation area right in the city.


I was lucky enough to spot a hawk of some kind, but I wasn't able to figure out what it was. I am guessing either a Cooper's Hawk or a Sharp-Shinned Hawk. If anyone reading this knows hawks, have a look here and let me know if you can help me out.


Sometimes it's really hard to identify a bird, even when you have a decently clear picture and the bird doesn't fly off so you can have a good luck at it. I had to call my dad to confirm this one, even though I was almost certain what it was (hey...gotta be sure, right?) However, it is a little frustrating when a bird is totally new to you, and you think you have found some rarity, and the OFNC website tells you that it's "Common to Abundant."
ID#14: American Black Duck (male:right, female:left); March 19, 2010; Mud Lake, Ottawa

If you are new to birding like me, you would probably also be surprised to realize that there are actually many different kinds of seagulls. This one is pretty much the most common here, and the only one I've spotted so far.
ID#15: Ring-billed Gulls; March 20, 2010; Andrew Hayden Park, Ottawa

While walking around Mud Lake, we spotted a Red-winged blackbird and frantically started taking pictures (they just showed up this week). He finally flew off, but then we realized we were completely surrounded by them!
ID#16: Red-Winged blackbird; March 19, 2010; Mud Lake, Ottawa

It wasn't too hard to get a shot of one these....
ID#17: Rock Pigeon; March 20, 2010; Ottawa River Parkway

How can I not include my unofficial national bird? The Canada Goose is making its way back home, ready to spread its little treats all over our lawns.
ID#18: Canada Goose; March 20, 2010; Mud Lake, Ottawa

You know it's spring for sure when the robins show up. I've been seeing them around for a few days now, but finally got close enough for a decent picture today (actually Matt took this one!). Next time I'll try to get a shot of him with a nice juicy worm!
ID#19: American Robin; March 20, 2010; Kanata

That's it for now. Let's hope for another productive week of birding!

No comments: