Friday, January 14, 2011

Another round of Amherst owls #118-119

Matt and I made a last-minute decision to make a run over to the Island late yesterday afternoon since we had to be in Kingston. It was nice and quiet over there, and we made it just about an hour before dusk. Saw one long-eared close the feeders.

#118: Long-eared Owl; Amherst Island; January 13, 2011


Saw two saw-whets as well. such precious little things...they were both sleeping, and I could see their little bodies breathing. they were very very sweet and I kind of fell in love all over again after the bohemians.

#119: Northern Saw-Whet Owl; Amherst Island; January 13, 2011

Only one other birder that we saw in the woods...I later saw in the ferry line-up that he had a Kanata license cover. 
Apparently there was a harlequin off the south shore. I didn't realize until we got back to the mainland.  I called dad to let him know and he's going to see if he can find it.

On the way out, we fed the chickadees for a  bit. They had a feast like I've never seen before. Sometimes I had 4 on my hands at a time! I took a video so maybe I'll post it sometime.

3 comments:

Funkysandman said...

very cool indeed!
I'll have to visit AI to see them some time

dwaynejava said...

Great owls! I've seen neither of those. Love the picture and link to birdorable. -Dwayne

Anonymous said...

nice blog - good job !!