Monday, October 11, 2010

Foxy! 104

Sorry if I've been MIA for a little while. I haven't had a ton of time to dedicate to birding, but the other day I went back to Emerald Meadows to see if the egret was still hanging around---it was, along with a couple of juvenile black-crowned night herons and a great blue. And yesterday we checked out Petrie Island and saw hardly any birds at all!

Today it was super nice so I decided to check out some familiar territory...first Sarsaparilla Trail and Jack Pine Trail. It was totally packed with a gazillion families, and all the kids with their arms stretched out to feed the chickadees.

I camped out in one spot and finally saw a fox sparrow. I've seen lots of song sparrows and wondered if I was somehow not able to tell them apart, but as soon as I saw this one I knew for sure. It looked almost red and you can't miss the grey bits on its head. Was quite pleased, since it posed nicely too!
#104: Fox Sparrow; Sarsaparilla Trail, Ottawa; October 11, 2010
There were tons of dark-eyed juncos today. Here's a pic, a  re-do from the first junco pic I took! And some nice fall colours in the background too.
Happy thanksgiving everyone!

2 comments:

Funkysandman said...

freaking sharp...nice job Jenna

dwaynejava said...

Nice work! Glad to see you're surging past 100! I visited Sarsaparilla Trail and Jack Pine Trails when I visited relatives this summer. Very beautiful area!
Dwayne