Monday, September 20, 2010

quick after work birding (97-98)

Since I got off an hour early today, I thought I'd take advantage of the extra hour of daylight. Went to Andrew Hayden Park for something different (worked out well!) and it was GORGEOUS outside.

#97: Semipalmated Plover; Andrew Hayden Park, Ottawa; September 20, 2010
I kind of always assumed these guys were killdeer. Look closer silly girl! These are funny little birds!

#98: American Pipit; Andrew Hayden Park, Ottawa; September 20, 2010
Really didn't know what this one was and wasn't expecting to see it! I'll take it!

And here's another bird that's going to take some research (maybe too much...not sure if I'll figure this one out), but they let me get decently close so it would be shame not to post a pic.

2 more....any bets on how much longer it's going to take me?

3 comments:

dwaynejava said...

Great shots. I've never seen an American Pipit! I'm still bad with Shorebird identification but my Sibley field guide hints that it could be a Juvenile Black bellied Plover in its Winter plumage (or possibly a Golden Plover). Hitting 100 birds will be very exciting! -Dwayne

dmorin said...

It`s a Black-bellied Plover. The give away would have been if it had opened its wings and showed the feathers underneath. The grayness of the bird is the key here. In England, they are called Grey Plovers because of it.

Funkysandman said...

wow, you're ahead of schedule! (even with birding breaks)